BUSINESS MANAGEMENT TOOLBOX
Concepts, Tips and Suggestions for Your Agribusiness
This page contains presentations on topics that I cover in my classes. I hope you find this information useful. Presentations are flash slide shows with navigation controls at 800x600 resolution.
"Management in all business and organizational activities is the act of getting people together to accomplish desired goals and objectives using available resources efficiently and effectively" (Wikipedia).
Business management is an applied discipline that combines practical findings from economics, psychology, and other areas with years of study, research and observation from professionals in industry and academia.
FIGURING YOUR BUSINESS SITUATION - WHAT IS NEXT?
STARS MODEL - Business Transition Strategies
Lets begin with a quick business self-assessment that will help you decide on the next planning and actions. I use a chart summarized from the STARS model (Watkins, 2003, 2009) as a frame of reference. Identify what is your business situation in the chart and then click on the links below to see a presentation on that topic.
To learn more about this perspective please check these references:
Watkins, M. (2003). The First 90 days: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.
Watkins, M. (2009). Picking the Right Transition Strategy. Harvard Business Review, January, 47-53.
STARS MODEL - STARTUP STAGE
- Aspects to consider when taking a business off the ground.
STARS MODEL - TURNING AROUND A BUSINESS
- When facing crisis, saving a business in serious trouble.
STARS MODEL - ACCELERATING BUSINESS GROWTH
- When managing rapidly expanding business.
STARS MODEL - REALIGNING A BUSINESS
- When running into difficulties.
STARS MODEL - SUSTAINING BUSINESS SUCCESS
- Bringing Business to the next level.
- Why Turnaround or Realignment may fail.
BIZ IDEA - BIZ INNOVATION - BIZ MODEL
- Biz models start with an idea that requires innovation to sustain success.
A FEW NURSERY BIZ MODELS
- Examples where core strengths, available resources, and passion intersect.
BUILDING EFFECTIVE TEAMS
We need high-performance teams to be successful.
- Gather the benefits of team work.
YOUR MANAGEMENT TEAM
- Consider personal strengths for management positions.
BUSINESS ROLES - AN OVERVIEW OF WHO DOES WHAT...
Organizing and dividing the work in your business.
- Functional roles.
- Marketing Strategies, Pricing and Sales, Marketing Plan.
- Production Planning, Tracking, Projection, and Production Plans.
- Financial Planning, Goals, Long Term Profitability, Tracking, Exit Plan.