Dr. Kheng T. Cheah
Associate Specialist, Nursery Management
Office Address: St. Johns 108
Office Hours: By appointment
Tropical Agriculture and Soil Sciences, CTAHR
3190 Maile Way, St. John 108
Honolulu, HI 96822
I started working in the Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences Department at UH Manoa in December 2008. My current work allocation is 65% extension, 25% teaching, and 10% research.
I have over 30 years of professional experience in plant tissue culture and transformation, working for international agricultural industries as a scientist, research director, production and research manager, as well as managing director. I am also a certified professional coach with an emphasis on business management, project and productivity management.
I have initiated an statewide extension and education program to support the nursery industry in Hawaii that includes:
- Entrepreneurship to Revitalize Hawaii's Nursery Industry.
- New Plant Distribution Center (NPDC).
- Business Management Coaching.
- Hawaii Nursery Survey - Priority Needs.
- Hawaii Nursery Industry Competitive Forces (Profitability) Survey.
- Ornamental Business and Research Group.
- Development of New Markets for Hawaii's Nursery Products.
- International Tissue Culture Network (ITCN).
- TPSS/NREM 351 Enterprise Management.
- TPSS 430 Nursery Management.
- TPSS 440 Plant Tissue Culture.
- TPSS 711 Special Topics: Project and Productivity Mgt.
I have collaborated extensively with other researchers due to my expertise in plant tissue culture and plant transformation.
- Development of cost-effective bioreactor micropropagation systems.
- Development of micropropagation protocols for recalcitrant varieties such as bamboo and proteas.