Due to my expertise in plant tissue culture and plant transformation, I have collaborated extensively with other researchers . My current research interest is on the development, optimization, and refinement of micropropagation protocols using advanced technologies to meet Hawaii's nursery industry needs for clean and high-value new plants.
- Development of cost-effective bioreactor micropropagation systems.
- Development of micropropagation protocols for recalcitrant varieties such as bamboo and proteas.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECT
Cheah, K. T. (2009-2011). Improved micropropagation techniques and cultivar evaluation programs for selected new dracaenas for Hawaii. CSREES HATCH project.
New application of existing micropropagation technology based on RITA temporary immersion bioreactors for the micropropagation of Dracaena deremensis 'Lisa'.
A new protocol for micropropagation resulted in 200 plantlets produced via the new protocol. A graduate student, Lee Chaille, used this project as a basis for his Masters qualifying paper and a publication is in preparation.
The plantlets have been rooted and are in the greenhouse awaiting evaluation of height, leaves, color, fullness, packaging, and marketability.
- Cheah, K.T. (2012). Business management coaching: Focusing on entrepreneur’s current position and aims. Journal of Extension [Online], 50(3) Article 3IAW6. Available at: http://www.joe.org/joe/2012june/iw6.php.
- Borth, W., Perez, E., Cheah, K.T, Chen, Y., Xie, W.S., Gaskill, D., Khalil, S., Sether, D., Melzer, M., Wang, M., Manshardt, R., Gonsalves, D. and Hu, J.S. (2011). Transgenic banana plants resistant to banana bunchy top virus infection. Acta Hort. 897, 449-457.
- Hu, J.S., Sether, D.M., Melzer, M.J., Subere, C.V., Cheah, K. T. , Chen, Y., Qi L., Borth, W., Wang, I.C., Nagai, C. and Wang, M.L. (2009). Characterization and management of pineapple mealybug wilt associated viruses. Acta Hort. (ISHS) 822: 185-190.
- Liang, X. L., Chen, X. L., Cheah, K. T. , Sether, D. M., Li, Q., Hu, J. (2009). Establishment of direct somatic embryogenesis system through transverse Thin Cell Layer Culture in pineapple (Ananas comosus L. Merrill). Acta Horticulturae Sinica, 36(11): 1597-1602.
- Wang M. L., Uruu, G., Xiong, L., He, X., Nagai, C., Cheah, K. T. , Hu , J. S., Nan, G. L., Sipes, B. S., Atkinson, H. J., Moore, P. H., Rohrbach, K. G., and Paull, R. E. (2009). Production of transgenic pineapple plants via adventitious bud regeneration. In Vitro Cell Dev. Biol. – Plant, 45: 112-121.
- Khalil, S.M., Cheah, K.T., Perez, E.A., Gaskill, D.A., & Hu, J.S. (2002). Regeneration of banana (Musa spp AAB cv. Dwarf Brazilian) via secondary embryogenesis. Plant Cell Reports, 20(12):1128-1134.
- Cheah, K.T., and Chaille, L.C. (2011). Somatic embryogenesis from mature Bambusa ventricosa. Cooperative Extension Service Publication, CTAHR. BIO-11. pp. 5.
- Cheah, K.T. (2011). Practical business transition strategies. Cooperative Extension Service Publication, CTAHR. ET-11. pp. 7.
- Cheah, K.T. (2011). Global growth: CTAHR aims to re-energize Hawaii’s nursery industry. Landscape Hawaii, October/November. pp. 3.
- Hu, J., Borth, W., Perez, E., Cheah, K. T. (2010). Plant resistance to banana bunchy top virus. US Patent 20100218279.
- Conkling,M., Li, Xia., Cheah, K. T., Xie, J. (2004). Method of identifying plant cells transformed with a gene. World Intellectual Property Organization, Patent WO/2004/076625.
- Cheah, K. T. (2001). Methods for production of genetically modified plants, plant materials and plant products. US patent 6,255,559.
- Griffis Jr, J.L., Manners, M.M., Caple, A.D., Cheah, K.T., Kawabata, A.F. (2014). Effects of fertilizer rate and media formulation on vertical growth and basal shoot production of transplanted tissue-cultured plugs of dracaena 'Ruth Luka'. Plant Nutrient Management Poster, ASHS. Orlando, FL.
- Borth, W., Perez, E., Cheah, K.T. , Chen, Y., Xie, W. S., Gaskill, D., Khalil, S., Sether, D., Melzer, M., Wang, M., Manshardt, R., Gonsalves, D., Hu, J. S. (2010). Transgenic banana plants resistant to Banana Bunchy Top Virus infection. International ISHS-ProMusa Symposium: Global Perspectives on Asian Challenges, Sept 14-18, Guangzhou, China.
- Borth W., Perez, E., Cheah, K.T., Wenshuang, X., Gaskill, D., & Hu, J. (2009). Development of banana bunchy top virus resistant transgenic banana plants. Plant Biotechnology & Risk Assessment Poster. Society of Plant Biologist and Phycological Society of America. Honolulu, HI.
- Sipes, B., Wang, M. L., Nagai, C., Cheah, K.T. , Hu, J. Paull, R., Moore, P., & Atkinson, H. (2007). Reproduction of meloidogyne javanica on pineapple genetically modified to express a rice cystatin. Presentation abstract, APS/SON Joint Meeting. San Diego, CA.
- Hu, J., Perez, E., Borth W., Sether, D., & Cheah, K.T. (2006). Development of BBTV-resistant transgenic banana plants. Presentation abstract, HBIA. Honolulu, HI.
- Cheah, K. T. (2008). Improved micropropagation techniques and cultivar evaluation programs for selected new dracaenas for Hawaii. CSREES HATCH 810.
- Cheah, K. T. (2009). New plant distribution center (NPDC) for high-value ornamentals, bamboo, and Jatropha. Smith-Lever Fund.
- Hu, J., Sether, D., Melzer, M., & Cheah, K. T. (2009). Identification and characterization of a new disease in Hawaii’s Anthurium and production of virus-free plants. USDA CSREES Federal Floriculture Research Grant.